Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Inspiration Strikes with Flames




I'm wondering if "Inspiration" would be a good name for this dragon. It seems that since I decided to do it, it's just come together. It could also be because it's taking up the entrance hall wall and I want to get it down asap. Of course Roger can't quite understand why I had to draw this thing 3 times in order to get the pattern ready or why I have to sew it more than once (basting, placing and quilting). At least it wasn't expensive -- I went to JoAnn's of all places (please nobody smack me) and was able to get all the material for under $20. It's actually not terrible quality. Because it is for a wall hanging, I'm not overly concerned about durability. It's not like it's going to be going into the wash like a bed quilt would be.


Please disregard the temporary backing fabric -- I just wanted to see how the greens looked against black. I'm considering going for some rich black with silver stars through it for the final background. I'm not sure of the background material yet, just that I want it rich looking. If I *do* use cotton, I know that there will be a good bit of embellishment.

Anyhow, here's the progress and the final pattern (reversed). You can see the final size, that is 3 sheets of refrigerator paper taped together.












3 comments:

Sherri said...

oh my!!! what a cool project! I adore dragons too!
Keep up your blog so I can see the progress.
:)
hugs
Dingy Brat

Charl said...

Thanks! It's quite the endeavor. I figure by the time I'm done with this, the fairy will be a piece of cake! I just still have some reservations about the requested mango backing...maybe I just really like black.

Sharon said...

I'm actually kinda liking the background...and I LOVE the flames and teeth. I agree with Dingy (OUCH, did I just say that??).... we want to see the progress on this.

SNAP